Finding work experience that suits your interests and your career plans isn’t easy. FOCUS West is working to develop more links with employers in the west of Scotland to help you find good placements. In the meantime, we’ve gathered together the best information and advice we can find.
There's already a lot of useful information out there to help you find and perform well during your work experience. My World of Work and Go Think Big are among the best resources:
My World of Work
My World of Work, the website of Scotland's careers service, has lots of good advice on seeking and preparing for work experience:
- For info on the different types of work experience you can get, see Work Experience Options.
- For advice on finding and arranging work experience, see How to Get It.
- For more links, videos and advice, see here.
Go Think Big
Go Think Big provides advice and links to opportunities for young people thinking about careers. It's worth looking at, especially for their advice on work experience:
- For tips on arranging work experience, read the Guide to Contacting Companies.
- For advice on performing well during your placement, read about the Skills You Bring.
- For lots of extra features, interviews, videos, and case studies, see Work Experience.
As FOCUS West develops more links with employers in your area, we'll post the details here:
1. BBC Scotland Taster Week
Each year, BBC Scotland invites applications from pupils at FOCUS West schools to take part in a 'Taster Week' in September at the BBC studios at Pacific Quay in Glasgow.
FOCUS West selects the two strongest applicants each year. Together, they'll spend a week gaining experience in the various different departments of the BBC. They'll work with staff, contributing to the making and broadcasting of programmes across TV and radio.
If you're over 14 and keen on pursuing a career in media and broadcasting, this is a fantastic opportunity. We'll be very happy to receive an application from you.
For more information, get in touch with Graeme Thomson.